Students consider where their own strengths lie and identify actions they could take to strengthen the qualities they need to achieve their ambitions. They also explore entrepreneurial capabilities and explain how these capabilities contribute to success and benefit individuals and the community.
By the end of Year 9 students understand the importance and components of self-directed and lifelong learning.They investigate the skills and personal qualities associated with a range of occupations and explain the importance of teamwork and collaboration. They identify the types and purposes of communication in workplaces, including social media. Students understand entrepreneurial qualities and their importance for work and in addressing a range of challenges. They explain the relationships between self-awareness and career planning resources. They investigate the changes occurring in work, workplaces and work-related relationships and the factors contributing to the changes.They identify opportunities associated with these changes. Students identify the contribution of diverse cultures to work and workplaces. They describe formal and informal recruitment processes.
Students plan and implement strategies to improve their learning and strengthen their individual learning skills. Students research and analyse information, organise teams, and communicate effectively using appropriate types of communications in a given context.They propose explanations and predict outcomes. Students practise entrepreneurial skills and attributes and propose actions in response to identified work and community challenges. They research and filter relevant career information resources. Students create career scenarios and identify the skills to manage career transitions.Students collect and evaluate data and information to draw conclusions about changes to work arrangements and their potential impact on their future. Students synthesise data and information to form reasoned conclusions. Students present their findings and explanations.
Identify types of entrepreneurial qualities and their opportunities for application to 21st century work and enterprise (ACWSCL010).
Explain how the application of entrepreneurial qualities can address a range of work and community challenges and provide benefits personally and to the community (ACWSCL011).
Recognise the importance of self-awareness in career and life design (ACWSCL013).
Student learning resources
What are your strengths?
How do entrepreneurial qualities contribute to success?
Writing paragraphs in Work Studies
Suggested activity sequence
This sequence is intended as a framework to be modified and adapted by teachers to suit the needs of a class group.
Part A: Deciding on entrepreneurial qualities
- Students download and complete the quiz.
- Discuss with students what they learned about themselves from the questionnaire and what they found interesting.
- Use a grouping strategy to organise students into groups of 3 or 4.
- As a class, read the instructions for part 1 of the group investigation.
- Give each group time to complete questions 1–3 of part 1 of the investigation.
- When groups have finished, combine 2 groups so that they can agree on the top 10 entrepreneurial capabilities or qualities.
- Invite combined groups to share their top 10 qualities and record them on the board.
- Discuss each quality in turn and as a class, make a short-list of no more than 15.
Part B: Investigating entrepreneurial qualities
- As a class, read part 2 of the group investigation.
- Groups complete question 1 and share their short list of interviewees with the class.
- Record each group’s short list and allocate each group one person on their short list to interview. It is important that only one group interviews a person. You may have to allocate a person to a group if all their options have been allocated to other groups.
- Groups plan and conduct their investigations.
- Invite groups to share their findings.
- Revisit the list of capabilities recorded on the board in part A of this activity.
- The class collaboratively revises the list, deciding on the top 10 entrepreneurial qualities.
- Students write a paragraph explaining how entrepreneurial capabilities can address a range of work and community challenges and provide benefits personally and to the community. Refer students to the paragraph model.