Legal obligations in relation to tax and super
In this jigsaw activity, students investigate the legal obligations that businesses have in relation to tax and super, including the collecting, reporting and payment of tax and super.
This activity links to several business curriculums across most states and territories. It addresses the need for businesses to comply with the legal requirements or obligations in relation to tax and super.
Legal obligations topic cards
Student learning resources
Meeting tax and super obligations
Suggested activity sequence
This sequence is intended as a framework to be modified and adapted by teachers to suit the needs of a class group.
Part A: Groups with each member investigating a different topic
- Use a grouping strategy to organise students into groups of 3.
- Allocate each member of a group one of the topic cards.
- Obligations to the ATO
- Tax obligations to employees
- Superannuation obligations
- Individual students research their topics. Encourage students to go to ato.gov.au as a source of information.
Part B: Groups organised by topic
- Each member presents their findings to the group of students who investigated the same topic.
- Group members reconcile points of view and synthesise information and create a final report.
Part C: Original groups
- Original groups reconvene and listen to presentations from each member. The final presentations provide all group members with an understanding of their own material, as well as the findings that have emerged from topic discussions.
- Students write a summary of the legal obligations of businesses in relation to tax and super.
Part D: Interactive